Science communications intern 2021-22
The MSU Science Math Resource Center (SMRC) offers a paid internship to an MSU undergraduate who will assist with science communication, education, and outreach activities for the statewide research program Montana NSF EPSCoR.
Are you interested in learning more about sharing science with the public? Do you want to develop skills in writing, digital communications, and education and outreach? The Science Math Resource Center (SMRC) at Montana State University is looking for an undergraduate student to work on these activities and more! The science communications internship is an opportunity for students to support a variety of programmatic and communications goals for SMRC and its partners, especially Montana NSF EPSCoR, a statewide research program that focuses on water quality.
Hours: 5-10+ hour per week (timing is flexible, based on your schedule. Hours per week may vary).
Schedule: Academic year (Fall 2021 through May). Projects over holiday breaks are possible if the intern is interested.
Office: Science Math Resource Center, 4th floor Reid Hall (but most work is virtual)
Tasks may include (but are not limited to)
- Coordinate and write blog posts with project personnel
- Gather and create content for project newsletters
- Develop relevant posts for social media platforms including Twitter
- Update project website events and opportunities
- Learn and assist with Constant Contact email databases
- Explore content creation for other communication platforms such as Story Maps
Through this experience, the intern will gain valuable insights into the operation of science-focused centers and organizations, learn how science is communicated to a variety of audiences, and develop valuable project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, especially writing
- Organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team, with minimal supervision
- Basic office software skills such as Word, Excel, Google Docs, etc.
- Majoring in or interested in STEM fields
- Ability to communicate complex topics in an understandable way
- Experience with website and social media content creation
- Familiarity with Constant Contact software
Must be a currently enrolled MSU student.
How to apply
Please send an email to [email protected] and describe what excites you about this opportunity and why you are a good fit for this position. Be sure to address as many of the Required and Preferred skills listed above as you can.
Please also send at least one writing sample that showcases your ability to communicate science or other complex topics for the public, and the contact information for two individuals who can serve as sreference for you. If you have questions about this internship, please don’t hesitate to ask.
The deadline to apply is Dec. 15, 2021 or until the position is filled.