Community Banking Program
The 2021 interns with advisor, Tim Harvey
Summer Internship Info Night
Tuesday, October 26
Jabs Hall 111
The event will feature summer 2022 internship opportunities and other resources for students including a panel of bankers and past interns. Learn about the different positions housed within a bank and more about the student intern experience.
Aaron Webb - VP IT
Megan Young - VP HR
Chett Cross - Portfolio Manager
Heather Smith - SVP Commercial Lender
Gordon Johnson - CFO/Community Banking Director
Past Intern Panelist:
Camron Martin - Credit Analyst
Dan Elsberry - Controller
RJ Patch - Appraiser
Questions? Contact Gordon Johnson, [email protected] or 406-994-6200.
Find the event on the MSU calendar here: https://www.montana.edu/calendar/events/39531.
The Montana banking community has partnered with the Jake Jabs College of Business and Entrepreneurship to meet a demand for well-trained graduates interested in careers in banking. The program consists of internships, curriculum oriented toward community banking, scholarships for students interested in careers in banking, guest speakers, and industry events.
Montana Independent Bankers Association offered the initial start-up funds for the program. We have since received additional start-up funds from Montana Bankers Association and Big Sky Western Bank who were also instrumental in the early vision and development of the program. Other banks across the state provided additional support, making this program truly a state-wide effort.
The following banking organizations are participating in the program:
- American Bank
- Bank of Bozeman
- Farmers State Bank
- First Community Bank
- First Interstate Bank
- First Security Bank
- First State Bank, Malta
- Manhattan Bank
- Montana Bankers Association
- Montana Independent Bankers Association
- Opportunity Bank
- Pioneer Federal Savings and Loan Association
- Stockman Bank
- Three Rivers Bank
- Yellowstone Bank
A key part of the program is an intensive, state-wide internship program to facilitate hands-on experiences for business students. The internships are paid, and they also earn academic credit for the interns.
2020 Summer Interns:
Blake Martin, Accounting; Three Rivers Bank, Kalispell
Isabelle Ivankovich, Marketing; American Bank, Bozeman
Jada Goettlich, Ag. Business; Opportunity Bank, Denton
Madi Schriefer, Economics, Finance, and Spanish; Opportunity Bank, Bozeman
Rowen Tracy, Financial Engineering; Farmers State Bank, Florence
Guest Speakers & Special Programs:
Virtual Roundtable Discussion: Opportunities and Challenges for Home Ownership
October 1, 2020 from 1-2 pm.
- Federal Reserve Governor and voting FOMC member: Michelle (Miki) Bowman
- Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Kathy Kraninger
- President and CEO of the Independent Community Bankers of America: Rebeca Romero-Rainey
- Commissioner, Montana Division of Banking & Financial Institutions: Melanie Hall
Rebeca Romeo Rainey, President of the Independent Community Bankers of America, presented on February 10, 2020.
BFIN-458, Commercial Bank Management, has been designed with community banking in mind. The course focuses on the career skills needed for entry-level bankers and future bank managers. Students learn cash flow analysis, commercial and consumer lending, lien perfection, banking laws and regulations, bank financial management, and bank financial analysis. The course is primarily intended for seniors, but it may also be taken by second-semester juniors in preparation for summer banking internships.
In late 2017, an advisory committee consisting of both industry and MSU representatives was formed to help guide the future direction of the program.
Members of the 2019-2020 Advisory Committee:
- Gordon Johnson, American Bank
- Clinton Gerst, Bank of Bozeman
- Tim Schreiber, Farmers State Bank
- Scott Nicholson, First Interstate Bank
- Jim Ness, First Security Bank
- Kalli Ryti, First Security Bank
- Tom Christnacht, First Security Bank of Deer Lodge
- Bob Galt, First State Bank of Malta
- Justin Skillman, Manhattan Bank
- Cary Hegreberg, Montana Bankers Association
- Jim Brown, Montana Independent Bankers
- Bert Bartle, Opportunity Bank
- Phil Willett, Pioneer Federal Savings and Loan Association
- Travis Wright, Stockman Bank
- A.J. King, Three Rivers Bank
- Jay Harris, Yellowstone Bank
There are plans for speakers, industry events, and enhanced curriculum development focused on community banking. The program may also periodically offer professional development geared toward community banking.
If you have questions regarding the program content, internships, or curriculum, please contact: Gordon Johnson, [email protected], 406-994-6200
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the program or have sponsorship questions,
please contact: Jackie Sather, [email protected], 406-994-6766