UIT Purchasing Support
Please use the links below for all standard (non-custom) purchases for departmental use only. State and University purchasing rules apply. Catalogs and state contracts may offer products that are not supported by UIT. Please see links at bottom of page for student and personal computer purchases.
Why Purchase Technology through UIT Purchasing?
By purchasing through UIT Purchasing, UIT will provide a Technical Specifications review to ensure that the computer systems will support the use case for which the computer is being purchased.
In addition, purchasing through UIT ensures the computer has the correct operating system, as most computers not purchased through UIT come with a non-Enterprise version of Windows. This, if not changed before they are distributed, can cause security problems and will cause them not to receive feature and security updates.
Any Mac’s that are purchased can get set-up in our Apple Endpoint Management system (JAMF) to ensure we can keep them secure and up to date.
Finally, going through UIT Purchasing ensures that before the systems are deployed on campus, we can make sure the “Stack” i.e. McAfee, Spirion Data Finder and Ivanti or JAMF as applicable, are installed pursuant to the Technology Management Standards, which can be found at this URL here.
- Apple computers
- For assistance, please submit a help desk ticket to [email protected].
- NOTE, in late 2020, Apple began the transition from Intel processors to Apple silicon in Mac computers, referred to as Apple Silicon or M1. Due to the new architecture UIT cannot guarantee that all software/hardware will work on this new technology. Most vendors are working to ensure their software/hardware will work fine, but due to the variety and age of some software/hardware on campus, we cannot guarantee issues will not arise.
- Lenovo Computers
- Dell computers
- Repairs for Dell Systems can be processed through the UIT Service Desk and repaired on-site at MSU.
- Microsoft Systems
- Require coordination by the employee of either an on-site repair visit from a authorized non-MSU Microsoft Repair Technician or coordination to ship the device to/from Microsoft.
- Lenovo Systems
- Require coordination by the employee of either an on-site repair visit from a authorized non-MSU Lenovo Repair Technician or coordination to ship the device to/from Lenovo.
- Repairs for Apple systems can be processed through the UIT Service Desk. The appropriate UIT team will process the repair with Apple. Some work may be done at MSU, but some work may require UIT to send the system off for repair. Any system that needs needs to be sent to Apple will be processed by UIT.
- If you need a loaner while your computer is being repaired, please submit a request to [email protected]
Copiers and Multi-function devices (MFD)
If you would like to purchase, or lease, a copier or large multi-function device, please check out the page from the MSU Procurement office for copiers.
MSU has a special contracts with CDW-G and WSCA/NASPO that allow us to buy products through them at discounted prices.
Buy direct from CDW-G/ Montana State site
Microsoft Surface Pros
Wireless printers are not allowed on the MSU (Bozeman) network.
Buy direct from WSCA/NASPO
Toner & supplies
Products we support:
- Software and user support is provided for these (and most) items listed below however, only hardware warranty repair is done on desktop & laptop computers.
- UIT recommends Windows 10 for all new departmental Windows computers, regardless of where they are purchased.
- Apple iPads and Windows Surface tablets purchased from any source (software only, no hardware repairs)
- Any Apple product purchased from the MSU Bookstore
- Any MSU preconfigured Dell computer.
- Any MSU approved hardware component or printer from the CDW-G catalog .
Students, Faculty, & Staff - Personal Computer Purchases
Faculty, staff, and students can use the following links to purchase Dell or Apple
products for personal use.