MSU has a campus-wide license for MATLAB, a technical computing language software program.
The license enables students, faculty and staff to download the software directly from the MathWorks site at no additional cost, for use on or off campus. Free access to the MATLAB Academy Online Training Suite (see details below) is also part of the license.
MATLAB is a high-performance language for technical computing. It integrates computation, visualization, and programming in an easy-to-use environment where problems and solutions are expressed in familiar mathematical notation. Typical uses include:
- Math and computation
- Algorithm development
- Modeling, simulation, and prototyping
- Data analysis, exploration, and visualization
- Scientific and engineering graphics
- Application development, including Graphical User Interface building
Millions of engineers and scientists worldwide use MATLAB to analyze and design the systems and products. MATLAB is in automobile active safety systems, interplanetary spacecraft, health monitoring devices, smart power grids, and LTE cellular networks. It is used for machine learning, signal processing, image processing, computer vision, communications, computational finance, control design, robotics, and much more.
Faculty, staff and students may download MATLAB on university-owned machines and/or personally owned devices.
1. Click ‘Sign in to get started” from the Montana State University MATLAB Portal
2. At the bottom left side of the screen, look for a blue box that states "Sign In To Get Started"
3. This will take you to the netID login page where you will login with your net ID.
4. You will then be required to either Sign In to your existing MathWorks account or create a MathWorks Account using University email address.
5. Once you have signed in or created your account you will be able to download the
Account Creation InformationIf you had to create a MathWorks account, an account activation message will be sent to your email address. This may take a few minutes. If you do not receive the email within 2 hours, check your junk mail folder.
6. Complete the form (choose your own username and password) and enter the appropriate activation key:
Need Help?Contact the UIT Service Desk for assistance with downloading and/or installing MATLAB.
Email: [email protected]
Visit: MSU Library Commons
If you download MATLAB using the links provided here, you'll be prompted to update your license each year around the end of July.
To update, follow these steps:
- Open MATLAB.
- Click the down arrow next to Help, located in the Resources section of the tool strip.
- Go to the Licensing submenu.
- Select Update Current Licenses.
- Follow the prompts and restart MATLAB when directed.
For detailed instructions visit Update MATLAB License.
- Go to the MATLAB Academy site.
- Click the Log In link in the upper-right corner of the page and sign into your MathWorks account.
Once done you'll have access to tons of free online courses and training.
If you haven't set up your MathWorks account yet, see How do I download MATLAB? (the previous FAQ) for instructions.
Training Resources & Support
These resources include tutorials, how-to videos, webinars, code examples and much more.