In December 2016, MSU was named one of the 100 best college buys for high-quality education at a low cost 


Tuition & Fees, 2016-2017
Undergraduate Programs (based on 12 credits) US$23,190.00
Graduate Programs (based on 9 credits) US$19,829.00


Health Insurance
Health Insurance  (Aug 1-July 31)     

*Health Insurance is mandatory but can be purchased by the student separately. Students must provide proof of health insurance and MSU health insurance will be waived.

On-campus shared room (9-month school year)* US$8,824-10,962/year
On-campus single room (9-month school year)* US$9,266-11,946/year
On-campus apartment (for graduate students) - no meals US$533-817/month
Off-campus apartment US$500-1,200/month

*includes 5 or 7 Day Meal Plan

Total Costs That Will Appear on I-20 or DS-2019
Undergraduate Programs (all) US$32,090
Graduate Programs (all) US$30,000


To determine costs in foreign currency, please use this Currency Exchange Converter

Financial Capability

All students with non-immigrant visas (F-1 or J-1) must provide certification of financial support for the time period in which they will be enrolled at Montana State University. The Financial Certificate guarantees the required minimum funds, in U.S. dollars, will be available to the student during the academic year. Applicants must also plan to meet expenses for subsequent years of study. 

Undergraduate Applicants: International Undergraduate Student Financial Certificate.
Graduate Applicants: International Graduate Student Financial Certificate

All applicants: A bank statement verifying that the necessary funds are available or a letter from a sponsor.

These documents are required in order for MSU to issue either the I-20 or DS-2019 to students. While financial documentation is not required for an admission decision, the I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) forms cannot be issued until both the Financial Certificate and Bank Statement are received.Both of the above documents must be originals with original signatures and seals. Photocopies and faxed copies are not acceptable.