Options for Meeting the English Proficiency Admission Requirement
In order to succeed academically at the university level, students must have a good mastery of English language skills. Proficiency in English for study at the undergraduate level must be demonstrated by one of the following. Note, graduate applicants are limited to presenting the official results of the TOEFL or IELTS exams only.
|Internet-based TOEFL Test (iBT)||71|
|Paper-based TOEFL Test (PBT)||525|
|Pearson Test of Academic English||48|
|SAT - Writing Score||650|
|ACT - English||27|
|A.C.E. Language Institute||Successful completion of Level 6|
|BridgeEnglish Language Center||Successful completion of Program Level B2|
|EC Language Centres||Successful completion of Upper Intermediate Level|
|EF International Language Centers||Successful completion of Program Level C1-1|
|EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency||Successful completion of Program Grade Pre-1|
|ELS Language Centers||Successful completion of Program Level 112|
|Embassy CES||Successful completion of Program Level 4|
|FLS International||Successful completion of Program Level 8|
|ILSC||Successful completion of University Pathway Program Advanced Level 2|
|Open Hearts Language Academy||Successful completion of Advanced 2 level or Elite level|
|PGIC||Successful completion of Advanced Level|
|Spring International Language Center||Successful completion of Level 6|
|Spokane College of English Language||Successful completion of English 140 (grade of minimum 81%)|
How to submit your score?
1. TOEFL scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Services (ETS) to the MSU Office of Admissions. Official score reports can be ordered by writing to: TOEFL Score Reports, P.O. Box 6153, Princeton, NJ 08541-6153 USA or via the website at http://www.toefl.org.
Arrangements to take the TOEFL can be made by writing to: Educational Testing Services, Princeton, NJ 08540 USA (http://www.toefl.org). Allow sufficient time for test registration procedures (about one month) and score results (one additional month). Entering the Montana State University school code (4488) on the test form will ensure that an official score report is sent directly to the Office of Admissions.
2. To take the IELTS, a program jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia, please go to: http://www.ielts.org. Students taking the IELTS will need to take the following address along with them on their test date in order to write it on the test form and have the score results sent directly to the Office of Admissions: MSU International Admissions, 400 Culbertson Hall, Bozeman, MT 59717 USA. Please allow approximately two weeks from the test date for the score to arrive at MSU.
3. PTE Academic
You must send your PTE Academic score through PTE's secure portal. Montana State University does not accept paper of PDF versions of PTE Academic score reports. Read the instructions below or watch the step-by-step instructional video on the following link:.http://pearsonpte.com/test-takers/results/send-score-report/
- Visit www.vue.com/pte and click on 'My Account' to login
- Click 'Send Scores'.
- Type the name of your chosen institution in the field marked 'Institution / Organization / Department / School' and click 'Search'.
- Tick the box next to the institution's name when it appears in the list.
- Review your details then scroll down the page and click 'Next' and then 'Next' again to confirm
Conditional Admission for Undergraduate Applicants
Students who do not have the required TOEFL score for full admission to MSU, but are academically qualified, may be considered for "admission with conditions." Any student who wishes to be admitted with conditions should submit a letter with the application that explains: 1) his/her level of English proficiency, 2) the reason that a TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Academic score is not available or that the score is lower than the requirement, and 3) indicates a willingness to take an English Placement Test (EPT) at the on-campus Language Institute upon arrival at MSU and to take any required ESL classes, if any part of the EPT is not passed.
Students must understand that, depending on the results of the EPT, a student may be 1) granted full admission, 2) required to take part-time ESL courses while beginning one or more academic courses, or 3) required to take full-time ESL courses until the required level of English proficiency is reached.
Intensive Language Instruction can be taken at the A.C.E. Language Institute.
Last updated: 4/21/2015