Credit Transfer Guide
Before Your Credits are Evaluated
Before your transfer credits can be evaluated, the Office of International Programs must receive all of your official transcripts. Your credits will be evaluated after you have been admitted to MSU and you confirm your attendance.
- Any student who has attempted 12 or more college-level credits from a regionally accredited institution after graduating from high school is classified as a transfer student.
- Freshman and transfer students should submit all official transcripts/scores to MSU for evaluation.
- Please request official transcripts to be sent directly from all institutions you have attended.
- Send by mail to: MSU Office of International Programs, 411 Culbertson Hall, PO Box 172260, Bozeman, MT 59717-2260, USA.
- Send by email to: MSUadmissionstranscript@sympa.montana.edu
- All undergraduate college-level credits from regionally accredited institutions.
- Credits earned from Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) scores, and Cambridge International Exams (A&AS levels), which must be sent directly from the testing agency.
- Credits that apply to an AAS degree (Associate of Applied Science degree, maximum of 30 elective credits).
- Eligible credits will transfer as direct equivalents to MSU courses or as elective credit with or without CORE. A course must be at least two semester credits and have a grade of C- or higher (with no pass/fail grading) to count for MSU CORE. For more information, see www.montana.edu/core2/students.html.
- To see how courses have previously transferred to MSU, go to www.montana.edu/myinfo, then choose “Transfer Equivalencies” and the relevant state and institution. If a course is not listed, it will be evaluated directly from your transcript.
- For AP credit, see www.montana.edu/admissions/ap/ap.pdf.
- For IB credit, see www.montana.edu/admissions/ib/ib.pdf.
- For A & AS level credits, see http://www.montana.edu/international/admissions/documents/AandAS%20LEVELS.pdf
- A course-by-course evaluation will not be done. MSU CORE requirements are considered complete.
After Your Credits are Evaluated
After your credits are evaluated, you will receive a Transfer Equivalency Worksheet in the mail or via email from your admission evaluator from the Office of International Programs. You can also view your transfer credit evaluation online.
- Go to www.montana.edu/myinfo .
- From the list, choose “Log into MyInfo”. Follow the Login Instructions.
- Click on the “Student Services” tab.
- Click on the “DegreeWorks” link. Here you will see how your transfer credits apply to the degree program you wish to pursue at MSU.
- Your Academic Advisor will use DegreeWorks to help you select courses during university orientation.
- Questions about your transfer credit should be directed to your Admissions Evaluator, to your Academic Advisor, or to the department through which a possible equivalent course is offered. Only the Academic Advisors and departments are authorized to substitute transfer courses for curriculum requirements.
- Appeals regarding transfer credit are handled by the Core Equivalency Review Committee (CERC) and the Graduation and Admission Requirements Committee (GARC). For more information, see www.montana.edu/registrar/CERCandGARC.html
- Contact the MSU Office of International Programs: email@example.com or 406-994-4031.
- Go to your Admissions Checklist by logging in to MyInfo: www.montana.edu/myinfo.
- If you see a checkmark, we have received your final, official transcript.
- If you do not see a checkmark, we will still need your final, official transcript.We may have your transcript showing work in progress.