International Undergraduate Application Instructions
Applying to Montana State University as an international undergraduate student is an easy process, and we're glad to help you along the way.
How to Apply
There are four simple steps to applying:
- Complete your application. An online application can be submitted at: http://www.msuadmissions.com/international. A paper application can be downloaded and printed at International Undergraduate Application Form.
- Pay the application fee of US$38 for the online application or US$30 for the paper application. The fee must be paid in U.S. currency. Checks should be made payable to Montana State University. The application fee will not be waived, deferred, or refunded. The fee must be paid before the application will be processed.,
- Submit your proof of English proficiency. There are several ways this can be done. For more information, please visit our Options for Meeting the English Proficiency Admissions Requirements webpage. If a student cannot provide proof of English proficiency, we can provide conditional admission, which leads to enrolling in our intensive English program prior to beginning the academic program.
- Submit your transcripts. If you are applying as a freshman, please send us your high school transcript. If you are applying as a transfer student, please submit transcripts for all post-secondary coursework completed. We will review unofficial transcripts for admissions purposes but do require submission of official transcripts prior to registering for MSU courses. Official transcripts should be sent directly from the school to the University and must include an English translation.
International Students Graduating from U.S. or Canadian High Schools
International applicants who attended high school in the United States are also required to submit SAT or ACT scores. While we will review unofficial score reports for admissions purposes, we require official test score sent directly from the testing service.
- SAT school code: 4488
- ACT school code: 2420
International undergraduates interested in taking a limited number of courses at MSU without pursuing a degree may apply for one year of non-degree status. Applicants must submit the following:
- A letter of intent outlining educational objectives, purpose of study, and specific terms and dates of attendance at MSU
- A financial certificate signed by the sponsor
- July 1 for Fall Semester (starts in late August)
- November 15 for Spring Semester (starts in early January)
- March 15 for Summer Semesters (starts in mid-May- summer session I or mid-June - summer session II)
Applications received after these dates may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applying at least six months before these dates is strongly encouraged.
Notification of Admission
Applicants are reviewed for admission when all required documents have been received at the Office of International Programs. Successful candidates will be sent an admissions packet that includes a letter of acceptance, an I-20 form necessary for obtaining an F-1 student visa, and a MSU welcome guide that includes information regarding orientation, the registration process, life at MSU, and other details to help you prepare for your move.
The sooner you submit all of your required documents, the sooner you can learn your admissions status.
Unofficial scanned copies of documents can be sent via email to email@example.com. Official test scores, transcripts, and other items must be sent to the following address:
Office of International Programs
Attn: International Admissions
PO Box 172260
411 Culbertson Hall
Bozeman, MT 59717 USA