Math Placement Information

It is a university-wide policy that the prerequisites for mathematics and statistics courses will be enforced. The prerequisite skills can be verified via your AP CreditACT or SAT Math scores or by taking the Math Placement Level Exam (MPLEX).

The MSU math placement flow chart (Summer 2016) that will be sent to you with other Orientation materials, will give you an idea of which MSU mathematics or statistics course you can enroll in based on your current ACT or SAT Math scores. 

If you would like to enroll in a higher-level math course than your score allows, you can attempt a higher placement by taking the Math Placement Level Exam (MPLEX) during your Orientation session or by scheduling an appointment with Testing Services

If you plan to take the exam, be sure to bring a calculator to Orientation. A sample MPLEX can be found on the mathematical sciences website at

Keep in mind that placement exam scores are only good for one year. If you do not pass a math class within one year of testing, you will need to take the placement exam again.

To prepare for the MPLEX, you could use the free, online math prep program called EdReady. 

To sign up for EdReady, visit Once you fill out this form, you can expect to receive an email with login information within one week. If you do not receive a login within 7 days, please contact

EdReady FAQ 

For more information about EdReady please contact:

If you plan to use your ACT or SAT Math scores to satisfy the prerequisite and you have not already had your scores sent to MSU Admissions, please bring your test scores to orientation.  Please note that copies of these scores are UNOFFICIAL and will be used for advising purposes only.

If you have any questions regarding math placement, please contact Testing Services at (406) 994-6984 or Academic Advising at (406) 994-3532.


Language Placement at MSU

Please note: A webCAPE, CLEP, or AP exam is required for students with previous experience (at least a year of high school language) wishing to take French, German, or Spanish classes.

webCAPE exam information:

  • To take an exam, go to and use the password: password
  • The cost is $10.
  • Print out your results and bring them to Tracy in Gaines 117 (phone: 994-4448 or fax 994-6199). We’ll discuss your score & placement in an MSU class, as well as get you registered.

AP exam information:

  • Offered through the Advanced Placement program at your high school.
  • Receive from 3 to 12 credits (up to four MSU classes) and placement in the appropriate course.
    • AP score of 3: 6 credits and placement in 201
    • AP Score of 4: 9 credits and placement in 220
    • AP Score of 5: 12 credits and placement in 300-level courses
  • Make sure that your results are sent to MSU so that you will receive credit here.
  • Talk to Tracy in Gaines 117 (phone: 994-4448 or fax 994-6199) about your score & placement in an MSU class.

CLEP exam information:

  • Receive from 3 to 9 credits (up to three MSU classes) and placement in the appropriate course.
  • Costs $110 at MSU and is offered through MSU’s Testing Services. Computer-based, multiple-choice format.
    • Apply and pay for test at
    • Schedule a test time with MSU’s Testing Services (Renne Library 19, 406-994-6984) or at another institution. For a location near you, search by state and city in the “Search Institutions” section at
    • If you are taking the exam at another institution, ask to have your results forwarded to MSU-Bozeman.
  • Is a computer-based test in a multiple-choice format. In two of the three sections, a paragraph is read to you, & in one section, you read the paragraph. The test takes a maximum of 2 hours.
  • Results are obtained at the completion of the test and are good for one year. If you don’t get the score you’d like, you must wait three months to re-take the exam.
  • Once you have the results, bring a copy to us (Tracy in Gaines 117, phone:406-944-4448, fax: 406-994-6199) and we can enroll you in the appropriate course. The sooner the better!