Become a part of Montana's premier university! Are you unsure of how to get started? Follow the steps below in the Cat Check checklist!

Want to see a personalized version of your admissions checklist? Visit this page to learn how to log in to your MyInfo dashboard.


One Apply for Admission

Office of Admissions
(406) 994-2452 / (888) MSU-CATS (678-2287)

New students may apply for admission at any time without all the necessary required materials. Applicants will be notified of missing or incomplete documents needed to complete the admissions process.


Two Apply for Financial Aid

Office of Financial Aid
(406) 994-2845

  • As soon as possible after October 1, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available online at Include MSU in Bozeman as one of your college choices on the FAFSA. MSU's FAFSA Federal school code is 002532. More information can be found on our website at:
  • Montana State University awards millions of dollars in scholarships and waiver awards to new students who enter in the fall of each year. You might qualify for some of this money based on your academic record, financial need, group affiliation, or a combination of the three. If you qualify, some scholarships and awards are automatically awarded when you are offered admission to Montana State University.

    Check out all the details at:

  • Inquire about College and Departmental New Freshman and Transfer Scholarships Applications within each MSU College and Department.
  • If eligible, apply for VA educational benefits by contacting the Veteran's Affairs Office at (406) 994-3661 or at
  • If eligible, explore opportunities available to Native American students, including tuition waivers and scholarships at:

Three Apply for Student Housing

Office of Residence Life
(406) 994-2661

  • Housing applications can be submitted online at: If you do not know your MSU Student ID you can leave that field blank.
  • If you have less than 30 semester credits and will be attending Montana State as a full-time student, you are required to live in the residence halls, unless you are a single parent, a married student or complete the exemption process for another reason.
  • Graduates, single parents, and married students can find out about Family and Graduate Housing opportunities at or (406) 994-3730.


Four Submit Immunization Records

University Health Partners
(406) 994-2311

  • A list of required immunizations, the Health History Form, and the Tuberculosis Screening form can be found and printed at
  • For students entering in fall 2018 and beyond, please submit your required immunization data by logging onto  Or email them to:
  • You must send proof of required immunizations and the Tuberculosis Screening Form to the MSU Student Health Service at least three weeks before your Orientation session. Proof of immunization is required to register for classes.


Five Submit Orientation/Registration Materials

Office of Admissions
(406) 994-2827


  • Information on orientation/registration is sent to students who are accepted for admission. Students entering in the fall will receive orientation information in spring shortly after they are admitted. Register online though the MyInfo student information system. Students entering in spring or summer terms will receive orientation information a couple of months prior to the start of the term or shortly after they are admitted.
  • Attend New Student Orientation. Information and the session dates can be found at
  • Once you have attended Orientation and registered for classes you will need to confirm your attendance. Log into the MyInfo website to confirm your attendance.


Six Submit Final High School Transcript

Office of Admissions
(406) 994-2452

MSU requires that each incoming freshman student submits a final, official high school transcript for evaluation. Transfer students do not need to submit a high school transcript.

  • Request that your final, official transcript posting final grades and graduation date be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the high school.
  • Your official transcript must be sent directly from your high school to our office via mail or a secure online submission service. Unofficial mailed, faxed, or emailed copies from students or parents cannot be accepted.
  • There is no need for freshman applicants to have partial transcripts sent to MSU. Please wait and request your final transcript after you graduate from high school.  

Mailing Address

Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 172190
Bozeman, Montana 59717-2190



Allen Yarnell Center for Student Success -Disability Services
(406) 994-2824

Information on accommodation options and support resources can be found at: