Graduate Advancement Grant
We anticipate that most, if not all conferences, workshops, and travel in the next 3 months will be cancelled or postponed. But just in case there is an opportunity for students to present their work or travel to conduct research, we are offering a limited number of PAGs in the April 1 round for trips in April, May, and June. Please make sure that your conference/travel is scheduled and appropriate before applying for a PAG.
The Graduate School is pleased to announce Professional Advancement Grants and Dean's Advancement Grants (formerly known as Travel Awards) for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Grants are currently closed, and will open on October 1.
Funds from these awards will be used to support travel opportunities for existing MSU Bozeman graduate students from any department, to conduct poster or oral presentations at professional conferences or scholarly research. The total number of awards will depend on the travel budget available to the Dean of the Graduate School. An application period for these awards will open every three months. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-serve basis and with grants being awarded until funds have been exhausted.
Professional Advancement Grant:
These awards will be up to $500 per award.
Dean's Advancement Grant:
Fewer, and more competitive, the Dean's Professional Advancement Grant is up to $1000 and require a student written essay. Preference will be given to those students not supported on GRAs since GRA-supported students may have more access to travel funds from their advisor.
The application period which opened July 1 has closed. The next application period will open October 1.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS for either grant:
- Graduate students must be considered in good standing.
- Each of the four rounds will be allocated one-quarter of the total budget. Students who are not rewarded an advancement grant and are still a graduate student in good academic standing will be considered for a second time on the next round. Graduate students are not eligible to receive an award within 12 months of a previous award. If you are denied a Dean's Advancement Grant, you will automatically accept a Professional Advancement Grant. Please do not apply for both grants. Applications will be reviewed and awarded no later than a week after the funds are depleted.
- Applications will open on the dates listed below and will stay open until funds are exhausted.
- 1 January
- 1 April
- 1 July
- 1 October
Please review the following specifications, as you will be required to supply the following information/materials when completing the application form:
- Name, email address, ORCID, and linkedIN profile (indicate N/A when necessary)
- Title of the scholarship to be presented (or researched)
- Venue in which the scholarship will be presented. If the trip is to conduct scholarship, please describe the planned work (250 words or less)
- Detailed budget request that includes transportation (type & cost) accommodations, registration fees, and the duration of the trip. No matching is required, though we acknowledge that the amount from the graduate school may not cover your full costs.
- Documentation that you will be presenting at the event (e.g., a letter of acceptance, a program listing their name and submitted scholarship)
The submitted proposal will be electronically routed via DocuSign to the students’ research advisor. Only those proposals that are electronically approved by the advisor will be eligible for an award.
NOTE: If awarded, you should be prepared to acknowledge support from The Graduate School at Montana State University. Also, please tag some of the Montana State social media when you are presenting your work, e.g. MSU FB page: https://www.facebook.com/montanastate, MSU Twitter: https://twitter.com/montanastate, IG: https://www.instagram.com/montanastateuniversity/, LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/school/montana-state-university/
MECHANISM FOR DISTRIBUTION OF THE TRAVEL AWARDS
The Graduate School will provide the awarded funds to the student’s department and they will use the funds to reimburse the student for travel expenses allowable under university policy.