Doctor of Philosophy in History
The Ph.D. in History requires a total of 60 credits, 18 of which must be dissertation credits.
Preference will be given to applications submitted before January 31st for admittance in the upcoming Fall semester. No applications will be considered after March 31st. If you wish to be considered for a teaching assistant-ship, please submit the application by February 15. For Spring admit, the application deadline is November 1st.
- Letter of intent that addresses the applicant’s area(s) of intended study and the applicant’s qualifications for doctoral-level work
- Three letters of recommendation. It is suggested that at least two of these are academic references.
- Writing Sample (major research paper or M.A. thesis chapter)
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all universities and colleges attended
Mastery of Subject Matter
Mastery of the major field will be determined by:
- the Dissertation Defense
- a record of excellence in all departmental courses
- a four-hour written exam generated by the faculty in the major field, generally the student's committee chair
- two two-hour exams generated by other members of the committee
- a two-hour final oral examination with the student's committee
Foreign Language Requirement
All students are required to demonstrate reading knowledge of at least one foreign language as determined by an examination administered by the Department.