OneDrive for Business
OneDrive for Business is the file storage hub for Montana State University's 365 service. It's easy to upload, download, and share files. You can also create, view, and edit documents online using the integrated Office Online applications, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Frequently Asked Questions
MSU OneDrive for Business is the cloud storage and file collaboration tool that is included with MSU's Office 365 platform and Office Pro Plus downloads.
The OneDrive for Business sync client allows users to connect and sync files from the cloud to your local computer.
MSU has purchased OneDrive for Business as part of the Office 365 platform for students, faculty and staff. OneDrive for Business is very different from the OneDrive available for personal use. Visit What is OneDrive for Business and click on How is OneDrive different than OneDrive for Business for more information.
OneDrive for Business is available to all MSU Bozeman faculty, staff and students through the MSU Bozeman Office 365 campus license.
No. These accounts are available for students, faculty and staff to use if they choose.
OneDrive for Business is different from OneDrive, which is intended for personal storage.
If you have a name change please contact the UIT Service Desk to change your name and email address (994-1777 or firstname.lastname@example.org). Once the name and email address have been successfully changed, your O365 primary email will automatically be updated. The change may take up to 24 hours to complete.
We suggest that you use the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox or Safari to access any O365 applications.
The OneDrive desktop sync app is not supported for Linux. However, files saved to OneDrive for Business can be accessed using the latest version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
It is possible, but not recommended, as you could accidentally sync the sensitive data to the cloud and/or desktop. You should never sync any data that is restricted or contains student information as this will create a copy of the data on your local hard drive. If ever in doubt contact the IT Service Desk at 994-1777 or email@example.com.
You can use the Search OneDrive box to search for items in your OneDrive, items that someone has shared with you or items stored on an O365 site you follow. The search box is located in the top left corner of OneDrive for Business.
Only you and the people you choose to share your documents with have access to the content in your OneDrive for Business folder.
System administrators can move folders at a high level and can view content you upload. The system administrators have this access in order to conduct audits or to troubleshoot if an issues arises (for example, content found to be a violation of the security or copyright policies).
All files except for the types below can be stored in OneDrive for Business.
Files that have a *.tmp or *.ds_store extension and file names desktop.ini, thumbs.db, or ehthumbs.db cannot be saved in OneDrive for Business.
Content deleted from your OneDrive for Business (whether deleted from the cloud OR from your synced folders) will remain in the Recycle Bin for 30 days. After 30 days it is not recoverable. To access the Recycle Bin:
1. Log into OWA at https://outlook.com/owa/montana.edu/
2. Click the app launcher in the upper right-hand corner
3. Click OneDrive
4. Click Recycle Bin, under your name in the left-hand navigation bar
You can restore a document previously deleted by clicking the radio button next to the document name and clicking Restore on the menu bar.
You can create and edit documents in Office Online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
Yes! Co-authoring collaboration is available through our O365 platform and Office Online. Visit Document Collaboration and Co-authoring for more information.
1. Log in to Outlook Web Access (OWA) at https://outlook.com/owa/montana.edu/
2. Click the app launcher in the upper right-hand corner.
3. Click OneDrive.
4. Share the folder or file in one of the following ways:
- Right click the item name and click share.
- Click the radio button next to the item name and click Share one the top menu bar.
- Click the item name (to open it) and click the share button on the top menu bar.
5. To Invite people with an automated email, enter name or email address. If they are an MSU Bozeman student, faculty or staff member their connected account name will appear when you start typing their name. If they are not from MSU Bozeman, add their email address. Select whether each user can edit or view only. Add an optional message and click Share.
6. To get a link to share or post, click on Get a link on the left-hand navigation bar. Copy the link from the window that appears. Please note, the get a link option only provides view only access.
Yes. You can share folders with anyone that has an email address.