1967 MSU Student Water Skiing in Missouri River
New Students

If you've already been accepted to MSU, you'll need to attend an orientation session. At your orientation session, you will register for courses, connect with an academic advisor,  learn to use the MSU course planning and class registration systems.

You'll register for classes at your orientation session. Before you register, you'll speak with an advisor to talk about degree requirements, and answer any questions you have.


Each student is assigned an academic advisor by the department's Academic Services Coordinator, Elizabeth Lee. Her email is [email protected] and you can reach out to her with questions on your advisor or getting in touch with them. 

Please contact your advisor to set up an appointment to discuss any questions you may have on classes or advising. 

You can find your advisor by logging into DegreeWorks, and looking in the advisor blue box. Your advisor will be listed in the Advisor row. 
To access DegreeWorks, log into MyInfo, click on "Student Services," and click on "DegreeWorks."

You can find step by step instructions here

To get your registration PIN, you'll need to meet with an advisor. 

If you have no advisor listed at all in Degree Works, or on MyInfo, please contact us at 406-994-4395 or by emailing [email protected]

If you switched majors and your advisor is showing as someone from your previous department, please contact us at 406-994-4395 or by emailing [email protected]

Please contact the department at 406-994-4395 or by emailing [email protected] to talk about your minor advisor.

If you feel more comfortable talking with a specific faculty member, or your current advisor is gone (i.e. on sabbatical, research trips etc.) please feel free to meet with another advisor. If you have questions about who is advising, or to find another person who fits with your research interests, please contact us at 406-994-4395 or by emailing [email protected]

If you're thinking about switching majors, you should make an appointment with your current advisor to talk about your options. We also encourage you to talk to a faculty member about changing majors. If you decide that changing majors is the right decision for you, will need to complete a Curriculum Change Form

Transfer Students

Transfer students have an orientation session at the beginning of every semester. Information is included in your Admissions packet, or can be found on the Office of Admissions' transfer students page. If you would like to schedule a one-on-one with a department advisor, please contact us at 406-994-4395 or by emailing [email protected]

Once you're admitted, the Office of Admissions will review your transcript for direct equivalents. If you have courses that do not transfer as direct equivalents, please contact the department and we will review them and make exceptions if necessary.

At your orientation meeting, the department will talk about advising, and assign you a faculty advisor then. 

The first time you register, you'll get your pin during orientation. After that, you'll have to meet with your advisor to receive your pin.

Visit the Office of Admissions' Transferring to MSU Page to find more information about transferring to Montana State University.

If you're trying to transfer to another university besides MSU, please contact that university directly. If you need something (like syllabi or course descriptions) please contact us at 406-994-4395 or by emailing [email protected]

Studying Abroad

Yes! We encourage our students to take advantage of the study abroad opportunities offered. Studying abroad requires planning in advance so we suggest you start thinking about it early and have a conversation with your academic advisor. 

The best place to start is the Study Abroad website

Estimating credit transfers is tricky because we are not able to guarantee credit hour conversions prior to receiving your international transcript and evaluating it.

However, you can get an idea of credit conversions by reviewing the Montana State University Credit Hour PolicyAt MSU, one credit of instruction should be 45 hours of combined direct instruction (counting a 50-minute class as 1 hour of instruction) and out of class student work. This means that every 15 hours of classtime will generally transfer back as one credit.

Official transcripts from host universities take time to be received and processed. Please allow at least one semester after you've returned for all of the following credit transfer steps to be completed.

  1. International Transcript received by MSU Study Abroad. International transcripts must be received directly from the host intitution or study abroad provider and will not be accepted from the student. A copy of your international transcript will be uploaded to your My Global Connection account for personal use.
  2. Transcript evaluated by MSU Study Abroad - We must have the most up to date Study Abroad Course Approval Form for evaluation.
  3. Transcript sent to Registrar's Office for input onto your MSU transcript.
  4. Once they are entered onto your MSU transcript, the Exceptions Manager for your major will be able to enter exceptions on Degree Works based on your updated Study Abroad Course Approval Form.


Other Resources